danielle's background

Friday, April 6, 2012

Easter Lesson and Activity

This was my lesson for activity days. You've probably seen it. Take 12 Easter eggs and fill them with symbols from the Easter story. When I looked online to print this lesson out. I never found one I loved. I felt like they dwelt on too many of the sad graphic parts of the Easter story and not enough of the happy parts. So here is my happier version.
First off, here are my notes. Before you read them, know this:
  • It is my own words unless there is a reference at the end of the paragraph. I referenced everything unless it is my own words.
  • This is an LDS version: it includes when Christ visited the people in the Americas after his resurrection.
  • Scriptures follow the symbol
  • Symbols are bold
  • There are a good amount of notes. Read it, see what you want to use and just cut out what you don't want to use. The younger your audience, the more you take out.

Here's what you do. Gather symbols (Their meanings are in the notes I linked to):

  1. Leaf: bay leaf
  2. Coins: 3 dimes
  3. Piece of bread
  4. Sacrament cup
  5. Olive: I made one out of paper
  6. Sword: made it out of paper
  7. Scarlet robe or thorn: I used a piece of red cloth
  8. Cross: I broke a tooth pick a quarter of the way down and glued it into a cross shape
  9. Linen: I used a thick piece of a white fabric scrap
  10. Leave Empty
  11. Book of Mormon: I cut out a picture from a pass along card
  12. Cloud: cotton ball

Next number the eggs with stickers, or you can just write the numbers on the eggs. Then put the pieces in the eggs.

I displayed them nicely in an Easter basket:

When I presented the lesson, I think I talked a little too much for my age group (8-9 year old girls). So, just remember, if you audience is young, briefly describe each symbol. Now I know for next time.
After the lesson we made Easter lilies. The idea came from The Friend, April 2012. Here is a link on how to do it. So easy! Just trace your hand, cut it out, roll each finger, tape it in a circle and add yellow and green pipe cleaner. I had the girls make two. One for a bouquet for the primary president and another to give to who ever they wanted.

We added these tags. Here are ideas of what to put on the tag:
  • You are an EGGcellent Mom
  • You are EGGcellent
  • Hoppy Easter
  • There's no bunny quite like you
  • Some bunny loves you
The pipe cleaner poked through the paper really nicely too!

8 comments:

  1. I have been looking for this lesson for YW for a while now. I love your version! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, I was looking for a unique way to present this lesson to my Primary class and this is just what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this and for including all of your notes! I have been trying to find a hands-on supplement to flesh out the Easter lesson I am presenting to my 16/17 year old Sunday School class, and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited about this, I'm using it for my sharing time this Sunday. I also am going to use pictures from the Gospel Art Kit (and a few I found off google images) to go along with each symbol and put on the board for a larger visual. I love your notes,everything is so well said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously fantastic! Last yr I used the 'regular one' for my family. went well enough this yr I wanted to use for my AD girls. not so well. :( I talked too much as well. and then shortened it for my Primary class. I really wished I had found your LDS version first! But now I have Pinned it and I am all set for next year! Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this. I really love it, and especially love that you include Christ's visit to the Americas. I am using this for my primary lesson on Sunday and also for my kids on Easter. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this- my lesson just wasn't coming together and you saved me! My little primary class & I thank you from the bottom of our hearts! <3

    ReplyDelete